Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Background and Methodology




I’m writing this article because its one that I would like to have read.
Bizarrely, unlike board games (which sell much less), there is no reliable source on the web for ratings of graphic novels. So how do people find out the good ones? Hmm….well, they probably don’t, hence why DC and Marvel dominate the comic/graphic novels market. There is a conspiracy there, but I’m not going to go down that route. So how do you find out what the best stuff is without going and talking to some weird guy behind the till in a comics shop?

Well there is a book available titled “The 101 Best Graphic Novels”, but in this age of information why would you want to pay for something like that?! Plus having seen a couple of reviews of it on the web it is not too reliable anyway. So as an alternative, I have done the work for you and created a “Best Of” list which you can have for free!

The following Top Ten list was created using various sources found on the web, mostly a load of lists of "best Graphic Novels" (or “Graphic Novels you have to read”, etc) put up on Amazon. Having spent enough time on the web to put together a list of 50 reliable(ish) sources I reckon that I have enough to give a representative(ish) top twenty. So what I have done is give one vote to each graphic novel that these sources put in their own list. There is a chance that I have added a bias by the way I have selected the lists, but if you don't like the result work something else out yourself.

I have also played a little fast and loose with regards to the scoring. In some cases I have grouped all of a series under one heading (e.g. Preacher) and in the case of the big guys I have broken their entries down by book (Batman, Superman, Daredevil)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rightfully deserve a big

THANKY YOU!

I'll spread this blog list to others.

*][* ror

9:07 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Your list was very insightful and I have added some to my want list because of your page. Here are a couple I didn't see on your list that I honestly believe you will enjoy.

The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite 1 and 2 by Gerald Way & Gabriel Ba

Joker by Brain Azzarello

I really enjoy those writers works and I'm sure you will as well.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home